How to travel from Hua Hin to Koh Samui
The Lomprayah High Speed Ferry Company has two direct services per day from Hua Hin town centre to Koh Samui. One is a day time service, the other travels overnight. These combined bus and boat services depart from the Lomprayah Company office which is on the Kanjanomai Alley, a 180 metre walk from the Hilton Hua Hin Spa & Resort on Hua Hin’s city centre beachfront.
Travel Times from Hua Hin to Koh Samui
- Lomprayah departure and arrival times and prices from Hua Hin to Koh Samui:
||8 hours 10 min
||11 hours 50 min
Buy Tickets from Hua Hin to Koh Samui
It is a good idea to book tickets in advance because the number of seats is limited and the service to Koh Samui travels via Koh Phangan. Koh Phangan is the location of the Full Moon Party and for the week leading upto the monthly Full Moon Party a lot of people travel to Koh Phangan, as well as Koh Samui. If your travel dates coincide with the Full Moon Party you are likely to find it difficult to book a seat if you leave it a day or two before before you intend to travel
About the Journey from Hua Hin to Koh Samui
The journey with the Lomprayah Company from Hua Hin to Koh Samui has two parts:
- Part 1: A bus journey for the 293 km journey to Thong Makham Noi Ferry Pier which is near to the town of Chumphon. The Lomprayah Company uses comfortable air-conditioned buses with an on board toilet. They also provide a snack included in the price. the drive from Hua Hin to the Ferry Pier should take 4 hours 12 minutes.
- Part 2: A sea crossing via the islands of Koh Tao, Koh Nangyuan and Koh Phangan which takes 3 hours 50 minutes. The Lomprayah Company operates a fleet of 5 high speed catamaran ferries on the Gulf of Thailand travel routes. The ferries vary in size but all have inside seating in an air-conditioned cabin as well as two or three sun decks if you want to sit outside. The boats have toilets and a shop selling drinks and snacks. The sea crossing is pleasant as you get great views of the islands of the many small islands of the Ang Thong Marine Park, which were the inspiration for Alex Garland’s famous book ‘The Beach’.
Wat Plai Laem Temple in Koh Samui
Location of the Bus Stop in Hua Hin
- The bus departs from the Lomprayah Company’s Hua Hin Office on the Kanjanomai Alley.
Location of the Arrival Point in Koh Samui
- The ferry arrives at the Lomprayah Ferry Pier (Pralan Pier) in Maenam, in the North of Koh Samui.
Travel from Pralan Ferry Pier in Koh Samui
There are two ways to travel from Pralan Ferry Pier to other destinations in Koh Samui:
- Option 1: Walk to Main Road. Walk 950 metres (11 minutes at average walking speed) from the ferry pier to the main ring road around Koh Samui. From there either wave down a a shared ‘songthaew’ taxi or a taxi. Taxis are expensive on Koh Samui compared to other locations in Thailand. Shared taxis are much cheaper and will cost less than 100 THB per person to most destinations on the ring road around Koh Samui. With both shared taxis and normal taxis agree a price before you start the journey to avoid arguments later on.
- Option 2: Pre-booked Minivan. When you are on the ferry speak to the staff about pre-booking a place in a minivan service operated by the Lomprayah Company. The cost is 150 THB per person to any destination on the island. At the ferry pier there is always a large number of minivans waiting to take pre-booked customers to various location around the island. The service is quick and efficient and they will take you right your hotel. We recommend this service for travel from Pralan Pier.