How to get from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya: 4 ways to travel
If you plan to go from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya you have four travel options:
- Bus from Morchit Bus Station (North Bangkok)
- Bus from Ekkamai Bus Station (East Bangkok)
- Taxi direct from Don Mueang Airport
- Free Shutttle Bus to Suvarnabhumi International Airport and bus from there
Each of these four options has it good and bad points:
- Taxi is the fastest option, but also the most expensive
- Free Shuttle Bus to Suvarnabhumi Airport and bus to Pattaya from Suvarnabhumi Airport is the best value for money option: you avoid Central Bangkok and have less far to carry your bags.
- Bus From Morchit to Pattaya is the cheapest way to travel from Don Mueang Airport if you take the Airport Bus from Don Mueang Airport to Morchit Bus Station.
Option 1: Bus to Pattaya from Morchit Bus Station
Go to Morchit Bus Station for a bus to Pattaya’s Northern bus terminal. From Morchit Bus Station there are bus services to Pattaya running from early in the morning to late at night costing 131 baht per person one-way. The bus drops you at Pattaya’s northern bus terminal and from there it’s about a 200 Baht taxi ride to the central area of Pattaya near the beach.
- Taxi to Morchit Bus Station: It costs around 200 Baht from Don Mueang airport to Morchit Bus Station by meter taxi.
- Bus to Morchit Bus Station: Alternatively you can take the Airport Bus (route A1) to Morchit Bus Station.
- The Airport Bus costs 30 THB per person.
- It takes 30 to 40 minutes to do the journey.
- It departs from Don Mueang Airport every 12 minutes from 07.30 to 24.00 every day.
- Bus Ticket Cost: 131 THB
- Other Costs: 40 to 200 THB to travel to Morchit Bus Station
- Journey Time: Total travelling time is around 4 hours from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya
- Bus Times from Morchit Bus Station to Pattaya:
- Location of Morchit Bus Station
Option 2: Bus to Pattaya from Ekkamai Bus Station
Go to Ekkamai Bus Station on Bangkok’s Sukhumvit Road for a direct bus service to Pattaya’s northern bus terminal. From Ekkamai Bus Station there are 11 bus departures a day to Pattaya from 05.00 to 23.00.
Our taxi to Pattaya broke down
- Taxi to Ekkamai Bus Station: It costs around 250 THB from Don Mueang airport to Ekkamai Bus Station by meter taxi.
- Bus and BTS to Ekkamai Bus Station: Take the Airport Bus (route A1) for 30 THB ride to Mo Chit BTS station. From Mo Chit BTS Station take the BTS, also known as the ‘skytrain’ to Ekkamai BTS Station.
- The BTS fare is 42 THB
- The BTS journey takes 26 minutes
- Bus Ticket Cost: 127 THB
- Other Costs: 72 THB to 250 THB to travel to Ekkamai Bus Station
- Journey Time: Total travelling time is around 4 ½ hours from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya
- Bus Times from Ekkamai Bus Station to Pattaya:
- Location of Ekkamai Bus Station
Option 3: Taxi to Pattaya direct from Don Mueang Airport
Private Taxi to Pattaya 2,185 THB
Take a taxi directly Pattaya. Go to the taxi desk outside the airport and then negotiate with the taxi drivers. The cost should be between 1,300 and 2,300 Thai Baht and remember to establish whether the price includes toll road charges. Last time I did the trip we paid 1,500 Baht including toll road charges (with my Thai wife doing the negotiating). The trip should take no more than 2 hours. Unless, like us, your taxi breaks down, which turned our 2 hour journey into a 4 hour one.
We waited an hour for a replacement taxi
Option 4: Free transfer to Suvarnabhumi Airport and Bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya
Bus from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya 249 THB
Take the free Airport Shuttle Bus from Don Mueang Airport to Suvarnabhumi International Airport, and then take the bus to Pattaya from there. Suvarnabhumi International Airport is on the East side of Bangkok (Don Mueang is on the North), so by going between the two airports you actually heading in the right direction anyway. The bus service is a VIP service with air-conditioned large buses with an on board toilet. The price of the ticket includes food and drink.
- Shuttle Bus from Don Mueang Airport to Suvarnabhumi Airport: The shuttle bus between the two airports is FREE and it goes from 05.00 in the morning to 24.00 on the hour ,and 20 minutes past every hour, from a bus stop in front of the Ground Floor of Don Mueang Airport Terminal Building.
- Bus Ticket Cost: 249 THB
- Other Costs: None as the shuttle bus between Don Mueang Airport and Suvarnabhumi Airport is free.
- Journey Time: Total travelling time is around 4 to 5 hours from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya
- Bus Times from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya:
Route Map from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya
- Distance by road from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya: 161 kilometres
- Driving Time from Don Mueang Airport to Pattaya: 2 hours 19 minutes